Strawberries, cherries and…an angel’s kiss in spring! This song warms my heart and so does most berries, even if they are tiny exploding bombs! Yes, if a berry explodes on your white shirt…you’re doomed! It may ruin your shirt completely, leaving behind hard-to-remove stains.
Did you know that the tannin in berries is so strong that it can be used to create natural dyes for yarn on fabrics? Only imagine a berry stain on white shirt? You might think that your white shirt is compromised, but don’t panic! Fortunately, there are several tricks you can use to remove berries stains on white clothes completely! No chemicals, no bleach, just super effective remedies that can dissolve the stain on the white shirt leaving the fabric intact.
1. Flush stain with cool water.
2. Mix one tablespoon of white vinegar and 1/2 teaspoon of liquid laundry detergent with one quart of cool water.
3. Soak the stain in the vinegar/detergent solution for 15 minutes.
4. Rinse with cool water.
5. If the stain remains, sponge with rubbing alcohol and rinse thoroughly.
6. Launder, using chlorine bleach, if safe for the fabric.
This soapy-vinegar solution is great in removing berry stain out of leather and suede.
Or you can safely Borax…
Borax can also be used to lift out fruit stains from fabrics. Make a small amount of paste of 3 parts borax with 1 part water and spread it over the stain. Dab and rub gently with your fingers.
Let the paste do its work for about 10-15 minutes and then rinse. The stain should be gone or significantly reduced.