It just happens to wake up in the middle of the night, feeling sick and dizzy, without having the power or time to go the bathroom and puking in the bed is the only solution. Whether this happened to you, unfortunately the beddings and mattress will be affected by the acidic vomit. If the beddings are easy to clean and wash, I can’t say the same thing about the mattress or duvet.
Anyhow, cleaning up vomit is not such a pleasant task, but if you use the right tools and a pair of rubber gloves, those icky puke stains won’t be so disgusting to remove from your mattress.
So, follow my puke cleaning plan to remove any trace of vomit out of the mattress.
The first thing is to grab these products:
- Paper towels or cloths
- Paper plate
- Liquid laundry detergent
- Rubbing alcohol
- Baking soda
- Rubber gloves
Now, start the cleaning process:
First step is to remove the vomit:
Put on the rubber gloves and with the paper plate, scoop the vomit of the bed and put it in a garbage bag.
The second step is to wash thoroughly the beddings:
- Remove the sheets off your bed, including the pillowcase, and put it in the washer. Throw a cup of vinegar over them, put on liquid detergent and laundry softener, and run a hot water washing cycle. This way you’ll kill all the germs and remove the puke stains.
Now, clean the liquid puke:
- Grab some paper towels or cloths and dab the area. It’s very important not to scrub, only to dab the area, because you may risk spreading the germs and rubbing the liquid deep into the fabric.
Cleaning the mattress:
- In a small container, just mix some warm water with liquid detergent, grab another cloth and dab the area using this soapy water until the stain is gone.
- In another container, mix 1 part water with 3 parts vinegar, and dab the area with this solution to deodorize the stain and smell. When the solution dries, the smell will definitely be gone.
Disinfect the mattress:
- If you are not sure that vinegar will thoroughly disinfect the mattress, you may pour some rubbing alcohol in a sprayer and add a few drops of tea tree oil. Spray over the mattress not only on the vomit area.
- And at the very end, sprinkle some baking soda over the stained area to absorb most moisture and odor from the mattress, and then leave the window wide open to ventilate the mattress and to prevent mold to develop. You may use the hairdryer or a portable fan.