The majority of our time is spent lying down in bed, either sleeping, resting, or reading. Obviously, all sorts of liquids stain mattresses easily, and mine is no exception.
Recently, I discovered some disgusting yellow stains on my mattress! No, it’s not pee, since I don’t have pets or children, and I don’t wet the bed at night.
But what causes yellow stains on the mattress?
It’s a common misconception that yellow stains are caused by pee. It’s true that pee is the most common cause of yellow stains on mattresses, but sweat and body oils play a role as well. It is important to remove mattress stains carefully. Otherwise, the spot may spread and saturate the mattress, causing mold growth.
How to remove yellow stains from a mattress
You don’t have to use harsh chemicals to clean your mattress. Cleaning your mattress with baking soda every six months will help you avoid strange stains in the future.
🧴 So, grab the following supplies to green-clean your mattress:
▪ 16 oz spray bottle
▪ liquid dish soap
▪ baking soda
▪ 3% hydrogen peroxide
1. Fill the 16 oz bottle with water and add 1 teaspoon of dish soap. Mix well and spray the mattress thoroughly. Make sure that the entire mattress surface is covered with the soapy solution. You will probably need two 16 oz soapy water bottles to cover the entire surface. Test the area with your hand.
2. Next, fill the 16 oz bottle half with water and half with 3% hydrogen peroxide. Once again, mix well and spray the entire mattress. Extra spray should be applied to the stained areas.
3. While the mattress is damp, dust the entire surface with baking soda. Approximately 2-3 cups of baking soda will be needed for the entire mattress. Cover the mattress surface with a thin layer of baking soda paste using a clean rag.
4. It will take less than 10 minutes to complete the process. As you spread the baking soda, you can already see the mattress stains become lighter! A reaction is taking place. Open the windows and leave the baking soda dry overnight.
5. The next day, sweep or vacuum the dried baking soda off the mattress and enjoy your stain-free mattress!