Everyone has at least one cast-iron object in their home, and it happens often to burn food in your pots or to burn the steak on cast-iron barbeque grills. But here are some useful tips you can use to care for your cast-iron cookware.
1. Before first use, wash the cast iron pot in hot water with dishwashing detergent.
2. Rinse the dish well and dry it immediately with a cotton cloth.
3. After each use, wash it with a dish sponge or a soft cloth to remove food debris and grease.
4. Don’t use wire sponge not to scratch the cast-iron.
5. Rinse well and dry the pot immediately to remove all stains.
6. Don’t wash cast-iron cookware in the dishwasher! High temperatures and detergents can damage it.
7. Over time, traces and white spots may appear on the cast iron surface. These can be removed with a sponge or brush that has been pre-soaked in lemon juice or white vinegar. Then wash, rinse and dry the pot immediately.
How to prepare cast-iron cookware for cooking?
1. Wash and clean the dish using a degreasing powder or detergent.
2. Rinse and dry the pot very well, and then apply a layer of oil.
3. Put it on low heat, and moisten it with oil every 25 minutes for 2-3 hours.
4. Use a paper towel to remove the grease, wash the pot well in hot water with dish detergent, rinse it, and then dry it immediately.
How to wash cast-iron cookware?
1. Cast iron pots are washed in hot water with dish detergent and then rinse them.
2. If the food sticks or burns in the cast iron pot, soak it in hot water with dishwashing detergent. If the burned food is still stuck on the pot, put some water with dish detergent on the stove at medium heat. Then add a cup of vinegar and let it boil. The brunt food will be removed easily with a sponge.
3. Make sure that the cast iron cookware is completely dry before storing to avoid rust appearance.
4. If the pot is stored for a long time without being used very often, lubricate it with mineral oil to form a rustproofing layer.
How to remove rust stains?
1. Rub the pot with a plastic dish sponge. You can also put some degreasing powder on the pot if the rust persists.
2. Cut a potato in half, sprinkle some detergent or degreasing powder inside the pot, and then scrub the rust stain with the potato halves.
3. After each use, lubricate the inside of pots with oil. This way, it will be protected against rust.
Grandma’s tricks to care for cast-iron cookware
1. Use coarse salt or degreasing powder to clean the cast iron pot.
2. If you cook with grease or oil, the dish will develop a non-stick surface over time.
3. Don’t clean the cast iron pot with harsh chemicals.
4. To remove rust stains, immerse the cast iron pot in a solution made of 50% water and 50% white vinegar.
Image Credits: Thekitchn