Mold spores are some of the most dangerous and unaesthetic enemies of your home. They usually work in secret until the time comes and, carried by air currents, they reach the rooms.

Their tactic is to wait for favorable conditions until they begin showing themselves. And when we say favorable conditions we mean high humidity and high air temperature.

Humidity is the decisive factor in the formation of mold.

The first step in avoiding the formation of mold is to ensure a normal humidity in your home. Normal humidity value is somewhere between 65 and 70%. A humidity level that exceeds 80% will definitely determine the ideal environment for mold growth. In order to maintain a normal humidity level is necessary to ensure adequate ventilation. It is recommended to ventilate the rooms daily, preferably when it’s sunny outside, and not in rainy days.

Besides the unsightly appearance and its power to damage the walls and the furniture, mold is very dangerous for health, especially for children. It can cause asthma.

Mold removal from the walls starts by eliminating the main cause. Thus, it is possible that mold growth may be caused by the presence of damaged gutters, an improperly made roof, lack of insulation or defective insulation of the walls.

When you start fighting mold it is recommended not limiting only on removing the mold on the walls. Also analyze the areas behind furniture or hidden corners.
If you want to stay away from solutions based on chemical ingredients, you can opt for natural homemade products.

One of the most commonly used solutions is the vinegar and water concoction. The walls are sprinkled with this solution and allowed to “soak” for several hours. Subsequently, rub with a brush or a damp cloth. It is proven that vinegar has the power to destroy over 80% of mold spores (along with them being also slaughtered viruses and bacteria). You can add baking soda in this solution, a gentle natural disinfectant that destroys mildew without leaving an unpleasant odor behind.

A solution containing alcohol or soda is another handy method for removing mold. Wipe the mold affected area with a solution made from mixing a teaspoon of soda with 1 liter of water. The solution can be used for cleaning the wooden objects damaged by mold. To be sure you definitively get rid of mold, you should repeat the cleaning method every 2 to 3 months.
After completing the operation, do not forget to ventilate the room properly and to use gloves and goggles when removing mold.

Image Credits: Blind Rescue